Creating texture in Encaustic art
Some of my encaustic paintings this past year are very textured. I’ve been playing with building up layer upon layer of encaustic medium using a dry brush accretion technique. Taken far enough, accretion can become encaustic sculpture.
Encaustic Tools used for building up texture
The key to this technique is a very dry brush and fusing gently. I find that the embossing heat tool is essential.
Here’s a description of drybrush accretion process
- begin with a base of a few layers of encaustic medium that have been fused. It is fine to fuse with the blowtorch at this stage.
- with a fork or other sharp tool, gouge some lines into the surface of the wax
- take a brush that has been dipped in medium, drag the brush along the edge of the tin of melted medium to remove excess medium. The brush needs to be very dry. Wave the brush around above the tin allowing drips to fall and for the brush to cool slightly
- brush the thin amount of medium onto the painting
- fuse gently with a low-temperature embossing heat gun. Be careful not to liquefy the medium. Fuse lightly, the encaustic wax will glisten and that is enough.
- repeat steps 3 to 5 over and over again as you build up layers of texture.
Encaustic Accretion sculptural paintings
Have you tried the dry brush accretion technique?
Give it a try and leave me a comment to let me know how it goes.
- Happy New Year! Encaustic Scrolls with Calendar pages - January 4, 2018
- Encaustic Ribbons | 3-D Strips of Wax - December 27, 2017
- Encaustic Diptych | Painting on two panels - December 15, 2017
- Encaustic Photography Tutorial | Painting Photographs - October 31, 2017
- Encaustic Collage with dried flowers and foliage - August 18, 2017
- Encaustic and Collage / Mixed Media / Assemblage - July 1, 2017
- Exploring Creativity | How to Steal Like an Artist without plagiarizing - May 31, 2017
- Introducing Encaustiflex - April 7, 2017
- Encaustic Painting Process | How to paint with Encaustic - March 4, 2017
- How to sign an encaustic painting - February 7, 2017