Creating texture in Encaustic art
Some of my encaustic paintings this past year are very textured. I’ve been playing with building up layer upon layer of encaustic medium using a dry brush accretion technique. Taken far enough, accretion can become encaustic sculpture.
The word accretion perfectly describes the process. ac·cre·tion – əˈkrēSH(ə)n noun the process of growth or increase, typically by the gradual accumulation of additional layers or matter.
Encaustic Tools used for building up texture
The key to this technique is a very dry brush and fusing gently. I find that the embossing heat tool is essential. I also use a 5:1 ratio so my encaustic medium is harder than some
Here’s a description of drybrush accretion process
- begin with a base of a few layers of encaustic medium that have been fused. It is fine to fuse with the blowtorch at this stage.
- with a fork or other sharp tool, gouge some lines into the surface of the wax
- take a brush that has been dipped in medium, drag the brush along the edge of the tin of melted medium to remove excess medium. The brush needs to be very dry. Wave the brush around above the tin allowing drips to fall and for the brush to cool slightly
- brush the thin amount of medium onto the painting
- fuse gently with a low-temperature embossing heat gun. Be careful not to liquefy the medium. Fuse lightly, the encaustic wax will glisten and that is enough.
- repeat steps 3 to 5 over and over again as you build up layers of texture.
Encaustic Accretion sculptural paintings
Here are some of my paintings that show the encaustic accretion technique. Click to view larger.
Have you tried the dry brush accretion technique?
Give it a try and leave me a comment to let me know how it goes.
- How to organize your art studio - July 12, 2019
- Encaustic Monotype Tools - May 28, 2019
- How to reuse encaustic scrapings - April 18, 2019
- How to make an Art Retreat or Workshop great! - January 11, 2019
- Essential Tools for Scraping & Incising into encaustic wax - January 1, 2019
- Mounting an Encaustic Monotype to a Panel - December 14, 2018
- 7 Tips for framing paintings - October 19, 2018
- How to Price Art | Free Artwork Pricing Table Download - September 25, 2018
- Encaustic Care Instructions | Free Download - August 19, 2018
- Encaustic Paints by Kama Pigments - July 6, 2018