Creating texture in Encaustic art
Some of my encaustic paintings this past year are very textured. I’ve been playing with building up layer upon layer of encaustic medium using a dry brush accretion technique. Taken far enough, accretion can become encaustic sculpture.
The word accretion perfectly describes the process. ac·cre·tion – əˈkrēSH(ə)n noun the process of growth or increase, typically by the gradual accumulation of additional layers or matter.
Encaustic Tools used for building up texture
The key to this technique is a very dry brush and fusing gently. I find that the embossing heat tool is essential.
Here’s a description of drybrush accretion process
- begin with a base of a few layers of encaustic medium that have been fused. It is fine to fuse with the blowtorch at this stage.
- with a fork or other sharp tool, gouge some lines into the surface of the wax
- take a brush that has been dipped in medium, drag the brush along the edge of the tin of melted medium to remove excess medium. The brush needs to be very dry. Wave the brush around above the tin allowing drips to fall and for the brush to cool slightly
- brush the thin amount of medium onto the painting
- fuse gently with a low-temperature embossing heat gun. Be careful not to liquefy the medium. Fuse lightly, the encaustic wax will glisten and that is enough.
- repeat steps 3 to 5 over and over again as you build up layers of texture.
Encaustic Accretion sculptural paintings
Here are some of my paintings that show the encaustic accretion technique. Click to view larger.
Have you tried the dry brush accretion technique?
Give it a try and leave me a comment to let me know how it goes.
- Encaustic Care Instructions | Free Download - August 19, 2018
- Encaustic Paints by Kama Pigments - July 6, 2018
- Encaustic Carving & Incising Tools - June 2, 2018
- Venting your Encaustic Studio - April 27, 2018
- Cold Wax is not encaustic - April 20, 2018
- Encaustic Monotypes Painterly Prints with Heat and Wax | Paula Roland - March 16, 2018
- Using Ceracolors with Encaustic | Water-Soluble Wax Emulsion Tube Paint - February 16, 2018
- Using Stencils in Encaustic Painting - February 2, 2018
- Happy New Year! Encaustic Scrolls with Calendar pages - January 4, 2018
- Encaustic Ribbons | 3-D Strips of Wax - December 27, 2017