Explorations in Texture
An online course taught by
Artist, Blogger, Instructor
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Create unique highly textured artwork that blurs the line between painting and sculpture
When it comes to encaustic, we all know that it is easier to create a textured painting than a smooth one. In this course, you’ll discover how to create amazing texture with the encaustic drybrush technique known as accretion. We’ll capitalize on the sculptural qualities inherent in wax and intentionally create paintings with depth and dimension. With this process, you can push the limits of the wax to build up texture—finding new ways to control the medium and playing with patterning.
What will you learn in Encaustic Accretion?
- Introduction: Begin by getting to know Ruth a little better as she shares what inspires her.
- Materials & Tools: Understand what materials and tools are needed for the course before diving into the projects.
- Let’s Start Creating Texture!: Get an introduction to the dry brush accretion encaustic painting method. See how the initial surface will affect the accretion layers.
- Additive Patterning: Discover several ways to add a raised, controlled, pattern on top of the wax.
- Project 1: Square Dance: This accretion painting builds up from an incised geometric line pattern.
- Project 2: By The Shore: Watch from start to finish as Ruth creates a textured abstracted landscape painting.
- Project 3: Old Growth: What happens if all of your brush strokes are in the same direction?
- Project 4: Starlings in Winter: This project starts from a stencil with all of the brushstrokes coming from the outside into the centre.
- Final Words
Who is this online course for?
This course is for artists who want to add physical texture to encaustic paintings. This course is aimed at artists who already have basic encaustic painting experience.