Disclosure: Diamond Core Tools sent me two free tools to review.
Artists painting with encaustic use clay tools for scraping, incising and carving into the wax. Thanks to this Instagram video from Cathy Nichols I discovered Zebratools by Diamond Core Tools! Diamond Core Tools is a manufacturer of high-quality tools for ceramic artists. I am so happy to introduce these beautiful Zebratools to the readers of the All Things Encaustic blog.
I am in love. Yes, I am in with this new and adorably hued carving tool I just got in the mail from @diamondcoretools – It’s called the P1v-tip zebrawood pencil, and I’m using it to carve intricate waves into my #encausticpainting #encaustic #encausticarving #wavedrawing #beeswax #avlartist #sailboat #sunrise #diamondcoretools
I have both the P1 V-tip Zebrawood Pencil Carver and The K1 V-Tip Zebra Carver. These carvers give more control than any other carving/incising tool I’ve used! They are both beautiful but I do have a slight preference for the Pencil Carver. You can adjust the blade angle of both tools but the Pencil Carver also has a built-in stylus and a comfortable foam grip.
As you can see from Cathy’s video demo, the V-shaped tip of the Pencil Carver glides effortlessly through the wax leaving clean narrow incised lines—no burs!
Zebratools are sharp, much sharper than ordinary loop tools and the blades are self-sharpening. The carvers are constructed of hand-made exotic zebrawood handles and designed to be ergonomic to minimize fatigue and muscle strain.
Today I took the tools with me to The Hive Encaustic Studio at The Alton Mill in Caledon, Ontario. Six of us tried them out and it was unanimous. We all thought they were wonderful!
At $36 US, they are an investment to be sure but one you won’t regret making. You’ll reach for this tool time and time again for years to come and every time you do you’ll appreciate its beauty and design.
- Encaustic Carving & Incising Tools - June 2, 2018
- Venting your Encaustic Studio - April 27, 2018
- Cold Wax is not encaustic - April 20, 2018
- Encaustic Monotypes Painterly Prints with Heat and Wax | Paula Roland - March 16, 2018
- Using Ceracolors with Encaustic | Water-Soluble Wax Emulsion Tube Paint - February 16, 2018
- Using Stencils in Encaustic Painting - February 2, 2018
- Happy New Year! Encaustic Scrolls with Calendar pages - January 4, 2018
- Encaustic Ribbons | 3-D Strips of Wax - December 27, 2017
- Encaustic Diptych | Painting on two panels - December 15, 2017
- Encaustic Photography Tutorial | Painting Photographs - October 31, 2017