With the turn of a new year, like many others, I take time to reflect on the year that has past and to set goals and to dream for the year ahead.
Reflecting on the Past Year
This year, instead of sitting down to write out my reflections on 2017, I painted.
Encaustic Paper Scrolls
Here is the exact process I followed to make encaustic scrolls and adhere them to a board.
- I began with the pages of our 2017 fridge calendar and worked one month at a time.
- I spritzed some of the pages with walnut ink
- I coated the paper with encaustic medium – you can brush on the medium or dip the paper into a tin of molten wax medium.
- I then ironed the paper with my encaustic iron. I suggest working on top of parchment paper to facilitate clean up. The wax made the calendar papers really beautiful, I have saved some of the scraps to use in other works.
- I rolled each month up into a scroll, lightly fusing with an embossing heat gun as I went.
- I collaged scraps from different months onto the board.
- I wasn’t sure if medium alone would hold the scrolls in place so I posted the question in the encaustic critique Facebook group. I followed the advice of Joyce Watts Coolidge and drilled holes and tied the scrolls on. I liked the idea that the months were all tied together.
- I further fused the scrolls, twine and the panel
This little painting is filled with a lot of powerful feelings. This process was a good way to reflect on the past year, to wrap it up and make peace with it, to clear the way as I start a new year.
- Tips for Hanging an Art Show - September 29, 2019
- How to organize your art studio - July 12, 2019
- Encaustic Monotype Tools - May 28, 2019
- How to reuse encaustic scrapings - April 18, 2019
- How to make an Art Retreat or Workshop great! - January 11, 2019
- Essential Tools for Scraping & Incising into encaustic wax - January 1, 2019
- Mounting an Encaustic Monotype to a Panel - December 14, 2018
- 7 Tips for framing paintings - October 19, 2018
- How to Price Art | Free Artwork Pricing Table Download - September 25, 2018
- Encaustic Care Instructions | Free Download - August 19, 2018