With the turn of a new year, like many others, I take time to reflect on the year that has past and to set goals and to dream for the year ahead.
Reflecting on the Past Year
This year, instead of sitting down to write out my reflections on 2017, I painted.
Encaustic Paper Scrolls
Here is the exact process I followed to make encaustic scrolls and adhere them to a board.
- I began with the pages of our 2017 fridge calendar and worked one month at a time.
- I spritzed some of the pages with walnut ink
- I coated the paper with encaustic medium – you can brush on the medium or dip the paper into a tin of molten wax medium.
- I then ironed the paper with my encaustic iron. I suggest working on top of parchment paper to facilitate clean up. The wax made the calendar papers really beautiful, I have saved some of the scraps to use in other works.
- I rolled each month up into a scroll, lightly fusing with an embossing heat gun as I went.
- I collaged scraps from different months onto the board.
- I wasn’t sure if medium alone would hold the scrolls in place so I posted the question in the encaustic critique Facebook group. I followed the advice of Joyce Watts Coolidge and drilled holes and tied the scrolls on. I liked the idea that the months were all tied together.
- I further fused the scrolls, twine and the panel
This little painting is filled with a lot of powerful feelings. This process was a good way to reflect on the past year, to wrap it up and make peace with it, to clear the way as I start a new year.
- How To Do An Encaustic Pour For Outstanding Results - July 12, 2022
- The Best Way To Paint A Smooth Encaustic Surface - June 24, 2022
- How To Use Sumi Rice Paper For Photo Encaustic - June 3, 2022
- How to Create Encaustic Vessels with Creative Paperclay - May 21, 2022
- Comparing Irons for Encaustic Painting - November 10, 2021
- How to print a large image onto multiple pages - June 12, 2021
- Artist Conversation with Andrea Bird - May 23, 2021
- An Easier Encaustic Photo Transfer: The Parchment Paper Method - April 5, 2021
- How to Reclaim Wax-covered Boards - March 9, 2021
- Bee Colony Collaboration | Artist Conversation with Ava Roth - March 2, 2021