This recipe to make your own paste for collage comes from master mixed-media art instructor Christina Lovisa. Christina’s homemade YES! paste alternative works really well under encaustic. This adhesive is especially handy if you want to work large as you can mix up as much as 4 Litres of Glue!!
Supplies To make paste for collage
- Great Art Wallpaper Adhesive made in Germany – buy from Upwards Art Studio or from Amazon.com
- Container with a measure on the side or a measuring cup
- Glue – choose a glue that is non-toxic. You can use mod podge, white school glue, or white wood glue.
- Weigh scale
- Something to stir with – a whisk or immersion blender
- Glass jar to store the glue in
Great Art Wallpaper Adhesive Paste + Glue
Great Art Adhesive is a non-toxic, non-acrylic, cellulose-based wallpaper adhesive made in Germany. Cellulose-based adhesives can be reactivated with water so the wallpaper can be removed later. But simply adding a small amount of glue to the wallpaper paste, will create a more permanent bond.
Video: How to Make Your Own paste for collage
Christina isn’t one to measure but I am, so I use a scale and measuring spoons. Feel free to eyeball it and simply add a gloop of glue as Christina did. I think that Christina’s gloop looks like 1/4 cup.
|Water||Wall Paper Paste||Glue|
|4 Litre||1 Box – 200 Grams||1/2 cup|
|2 Litre||100 Grams||1/4 cup|
|1 Litre||50 Grams||1/8 cup that’s 3 tbsp|
|500 ML||25 Grams||1 1/2 tbsp|
|250 ML||12.5 Grams||4 teaspoons|
- Combine the water and wallpaper paste
- Stir vigorously for 2-3 minutes
- Let it sit for 2-3 minutes to thicken
- Stir the paste again
- Let it sit for 15 minutes to thicken
- Add glue & stir it in so there are no lumps
- Transfer the adhesive into glass jars for storage
- Wash your mixing containers and measuring spoons
Thanks, Christina for giving me permission to share your recipe here.
Of course, there are other adhesives that will work well with encaustic collage. Check out Adhesives for Encaustic Artwork – Monotypes & Collage by Victoria Foster Harrison
- How to reuse encaustic scrapings - February 2, 2023
- Christina Lovisa’s Homemade Paste for Collage - December 12, 2022
- Glass As A Substrate For Encaustic Painting! - November 8, 2022
- How to organize your art studio - October 21, 2022
- Create Beautiful Cyanotype Prints To Use In Encaustic Paintings - September 13, 2022
- How To Do An Encaustic Pour For Outstanding Results - July 12, 2022
- The Best Way To Paint A Smooth Encaustic Surface - June 24, 2022
- How To Use Sumi Rice Paper For Photo Encaustic - June 3, 2022
- How to Create Encaustic Vessels with Creative Paperclay - May 21, 2022
- Comparing Irons for Encaustic Painting - November 10, 2021