Larger Photo Encaustic Image Printing Tips
Unless you have a large format printer, you may be limiting photo transfers to 8 1⁄2 x 11-inch paper. Here are a couple of easy options to print one image across multiple sheets.
Choose the method below that works best for you and then you can piece your image together for a larger photo transfer.
The PDF Way
- Convert your image into a PDF file.
- Open Adobe Reader (the free program)
- Click File → Create → PDF from File
- Search for your image and click Open
- Select File → Print and choose the poster option. This will split the image into multiple pages
- Adjust the Tile Scale to fit the image to the size of your panel
The Excel Spreadsheet Way
In 2013, I Googled “How to print a large image onto multiple pages” and discovered the excel method. I’ve been using this method ever since. If you own a copy of Excel, give it a try. I like the ability to adjust the image size and number of sheets by simply dragging the image corner. If you don’t have Excel, Google Sheets should work.
- Create a new spreadsheet in Excel. (File → New)
- Put the (flipped) image into the first cell A1.
- put your cursor in cell A1
- Insert → Pictures → Picture from File
- Browse your computer for the flipped image file and click insert
- Drag the bottom corner to size the image. Notice in the image below that the inches will actually display as a tooltip as you drag
- The dashed lines tell you where page breaks are
- Your image will print across multiple pages. You can piece them together when doing the transfer
- Wide margins seem to work best
Encaustic Photo Transfer
Here’s the finished photo encaustic painting. It is on two panels the top panel is 6″ x 12″ and the bottom is 12″ x 12″.
If you have something to add, I would like to hear it. Leave a comment below.
- How to print a large image onto multiple pages - June 12, 2021
- Artist Conversation with Andrea Bird - May 23, 2021
- An Easier Encaustic Photo Transfer: The Parchment Paper Method - April 5, 2021
- How to Reclaim Wax-covered Boards - March 9, 2021
- Bee Colony Collaboration | Artist Conversation with Ava Roth - March 2, 2021
- Make Two—At least | Work on Multiple Paintings at a Time - February 23, 2021
- When it’s Hard to Make Art | Finding Momentum - February 8, 2021
- Yes, You Can Paint with Encaustic on Plexiglass - December 13, 2020
- How to Make and Pigment Encaustic Gesso - June 8, 2020
- The power of differences to make your art stronger - February 24, 2020