As would happen to most artists, I found myself continually staring at a piece I’d created several months ago that didn’t seem to hit the mark.
There were aspects I liked about it, but overall it seemed to me to be just too much of the same thing going on all over the painting. There was just no strong focal point. So I decided to rework it.
- Since there were textures I liked in the painting that I wanted to keep, I decided to tape them off so as to not disturb them in the process.
- Then I scraped off the entire center of the painting right down to the first few layers of medium.
- This I filled in with more medium to level the amount of wax throughout the painting but also to create a white space within which to work.
- The scrapings themselves were very interesting. They held my interest more than when they were part of the original piece! I placed them back in, fused, then added raw umber to them, wiping off the excess and giving it a final fusing.