A few people have asked me about a technique that I’ve been using this year. I call it Encaustic Ribbons.
I’m sure other encaustic artists have done the same thing before but I hadn’t seen it done anywhere. I stumbled upon this encaustic ribbon technique quite by accident. I took a painting that I wasn’t in love with, warmed it up and with a warm paint scraper started to scrape off the wax. The wax came off in luscious smooth wax strips. Strips that were too pretty not to keep—so I saved them and started adding them as one would a collage element to other encaustic paintings.
How to create ribbons of wax
- Start with an old painting that you want to scrape down or on a new panel, apply and fuse three layers of encaustic wax. I’ve found that 3-5 layers work well.
- Fuse as needed so the wax is warm and pliable (but not too soft).
- Heat a clean warm paint scraper. I lay mine on the edge of the griddle to warm up and turn it over to warm both sides.
- Press down firmly and scrape the wax off across the panel.
- Warm the area on the new painting where you want to apply the encaustic wax strip. Use a gentle embossing heat gun to gently warm the back of the wax ribbon being careful not to melt too much. Press the ribbon of wax onto the warm wax. Lightly fuse.
I use a panel but I think that one could create ribbons or other shapes on parchment paper or a silicone mat.
Encaustic ribbons don’t need to be flat on the panel. You can leave a 3-D effect but keep in mind that those areas might be somewhat fragile.
I have also cut out shapes such as circles from the ribbons, but I don’t have a finished piece to demonstrate this.
You can further work on top of the ribbons. In No Ordinary Day, I used a Neocolor (water-soluble wax pastel) to draw a darker green line on the ribbon.
Hope you have fun using this technique in your own art.
- Encaustic Care Instructions | Free Download - August 19, 2018
- Encaustic Paints by Kama Pigments - July 6, 2018
- Encaustic Carving & Incising Tools - June 2, 2018
- Venting your Encaustic Studio - April 27, 2018
- Cold Wax is not encaustic - April 20, 2018
- Encaustic Monotypes Painterly Prints with Heat and Wax | Paula Roland - March 16, 2018
- Using Ceracolors with Encaustic | Water-Soluble Wax Emulsion Tube Paint - February 16, 2018
- Using Stencils in Encaustic Painting - February 2, 2018
- Happy New Year! Encaustic Scrolls with Calendar pages - January 4, 2018
- Encaustic Ribbons | 3-D Strips of Wax - December 27, 2017