Here are three simple products that are terrific for encaustic painting.
1. Use metal clips for palette cups
Metal palette cups used for encaustic painting get hot.
But thankfully, metal craft clips allow you to easily move the cups around without burning your fingers.
Some artists use binder clips or wooden clothes pins. I find that the binder clips can themselves heat up—becoming too hot to hold. Wooden clothes pins will work for awhile, but be careful as they tend to fall apart unexpectedly and you may end up spilling a tin full of paint.
2. Silicone muffin cups or thick liners
Sometimes you want to start with a fresh palette—clear away the colours you’ve been working with and make room for something new. Individual silicone muffin cups are perfect for cleaning out your metal palette cups.
- heat up your palette cups to liquify the medium
- pour the melted encaustic medium from the cups into a silicone muffin cup
- allow to cool
- pop the coloured medium out of the cup and set aside for future use.
3. Power bar with individual outlet control
If you have trouble with blowing fuses or tripping breakers, use a power bar with individual outlet controls.
A power bar with individual outlet controls saves you the trouble of having to unplug hot tools when you are using a power-hog such as a heat gun.
I hope these tips and product links help you manage your encaustic studio. If you have a tip to share, please leave a comment below.
- 3 products for managing your encaustic griddle or palette - December 29, 2016
- How to Build your Creative Confidence - October 4, 2016
- Using Inks in Encaustic art - September 27, 2016
- Creative Practice | Journalling - September 5, 2016
- Marvelous Molds and Encaustic - August 29, 2016
- Pearl Ex Pigment Powder and Encaustic - July 4, 2016
- Sinking In: strengthening the conversation with our art and ourselves - June 26, 2016
- R&F Pigment Sticks in Encaustic - June 12, 2016
- Drawing on Tissue Paper | Encaustic Technique - June 3, 2016
- How to make your own Encaustic Medium - May 21, 2016